This is an area that needs to grow. In the meantime, here are a couple of thoughts/ideas to start out with as well as a place holder for our most recent 2009 Educause webinar.
- Educause Review
This is both a print and online journal. Every year Educause reports on the Top-Ten IT Issues out of the Educause Current Issues committee. The most recent top-ten items can be found doing a site search for the string "Top-Ten IT Issues."
- Educause Center for Applied Research (ECAR)
We are members of ECAR. You need an Educause account to access the reports: Anyone in ITS should be eligible.
- Educause Quarterly (EQ)
- Special issue on student engagement (January 2010)
- 2010 EDUCAUSE/Cornell Institute for Computer Policy and Law (Talks on Digital Asset Management and Google Books copyrights)
- Educause 2009 Online Conference
- Dwight Fischer's Blog
External Papers and Reports
- Linux and Solaris: An analysis of two strategies for enterprise operating systems (December 1, 2009)
This 16 page paper was sponsored by IBM but still represents some good arguments in favor of Linux over Solaris along with areas where Solaris might be preferred. The Addendum on page 14 finally addresses Oracle's take over of Sun and gives some provocative predictions suggesting Solaris will fade as a general purpose operating system and reemerge as a specialty environment for high-end Oracle installations.